Dual Boot Vista/XP

Pine Man 20:19 22 Jan 2007

At present I have XP on my C drive and a separate additional empty drive D.

It is my intention to run XP and Vista as a dual boot system until I am happy with Vista then dump XP.

Before I load Vista is there any way I can change the present lettering of the drives from C to D and D to C so that XP will be the on D drive and Vista will be on the C drive?

a member 10:30 24 Jan 2007

Why not just copy (image) your current XP installation over to "D" and then install Vista to C , that would surely achieve your objective .
just make sure the new system works before. installing Vista on C .
Both OS,s have boot managers that can detect each other so there should not be any problems.

Pine Man 10:51 24 Jan 2007

Thanks for your response.

If I copy XP from my C drive to D with Acronis it will then appear as C in its new location surely?

What would happen if I just changed the drive letters over so that C became D. Would XP still work?

a member 19:38 24 Jan 2007

I dont know with acronis. but I did it for a friend a year or so ago using drive image and afterwards he was able to dual boot beetween the two , the copied drive showed up as drive D . as it should have .make sure that the boot option is active in XP and it should detect the additional OS and allow you to switch without the need for additional boot managers etc.
as i said copy it over and try it first if you can boot into it ok then you will certainly be able to boot back. if not the original will still be intact on C.

mgmcc 07:10 25 Jan 2007

<<< Before I load Vista is there any way I can change the present lettering of the drives from C to D and D to C so that XP will be the on D drive and Vista will be on the C drive? >>>

I have a dual boot of XP Home and Vista RC1. Whichever operataing system is booted, it runs as "C" drive, with the unused partition being shown as "D" drive.

XP is on the first partition and Vista on the second, but XP's Boot.ini file is *NOT* used and Vista installs its own Boot Manager in the first (XP) partition.

Pine Man 11:55 25 Jan 2007

Thank you both for your help.

I'll try using Acronis to copy the image to the other drive first and see what happens. If that fails I'll try the alternative option provided by mgmcc.

BurrWalnut 09:46 26 Jan 2007

I know you've closed the thread but as you will be dual-booting you should use this little program VistaBootPro click here

Pine Man 12:05 26 Jan 2007

Thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?