Dual Boot Vista & XP Mark 2!

ellastonepaul 12:57 20 May 2007

I appreciate that this has been looked at in several threads and there seems to be a number of options, some totally “techie”, which I am not!

I am in the same position as “Downgrade from Vista to XP”. New machine, Dell Laptop, Vista Home loaded, but several of my old XP programmes will not run, so I want to Dual Boot with XP. I can then continue to work normally in XP and catch up with Vista and load new software in less of a panic.

I had hoped Vista would emulate XP in some way. Microsoft VirtualPC 2007 would be ideal…but not on Vista Home!

In looking thro the Vista Help I found “Can I have more than one operating system on my computer (multiboot)?”….Yes you can! This then leads you on to “Can I repartition my hard disk?”….. which you can! And then there’s another very helpful guide “Install more than one operating system” This would seem to provide all the answers!

However….. there seems to be a slight “techie” catch. MS article 919529 addresses the problem “Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of Windows operating system in a dual boot configuration” But they do offer a solution.

My question is, has anyone gone down this route? It seems the obvious one, but are there any snags? As I have already said, I am not a “techie”, but I am willing to have a go.

Having said that I have done the Repartition bit and got 30GB (out of 110Gb) unallocated space. I have now hit a brick wall as every time I go thro the New Volume/Format procedure I end up with an error message “There is not enough space available on the disk to complete this operation”! Any suggestions? But please keep it simple!

ellastonepaul 04:10 23 May 2007

Obviously this has baffled everyone.....so in desperation I tries MS..and look what I found!

click here

It would seem that the error message is not very constructive. Apparently there is a limit of four primary partitions on a hard disk and, although you can create unallocated space, you can't effectively use it!

Vista Home on Dell Inspiron was pre-loaded. There is the issue of just what the other partitions are doing and whether one can be deleted, but that seems to be a can of worms!

Maybe I bin Vista and just use XP?

Quiet Life 12:11 23 May 2007

Interesting dialogue. I have Vista dual booted as second system and although interesting exercise I find the devil I know suits me best and prefer XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?