Dual Boot advice needed- Vista and XP

toniee 12:48 15 Feb 2007

I am intending to install Vista Home Premium onto a second internal Hard Drive of my WinXP Computer and would like to clarify the procedure - The How to article in aprils pcadvisor mag is very useful - along with some forum instructions I have read they say "while running in WinXP insert the Vista disc and go from there" - elsewhere I read that "you must boot the computer from the Vista disc"

For example I have copied this bit: "The process begins by booting from the Windows Vista DVD. Its very important that you boot from the DVD you created (or that Microsoft sent you) and that you do not run the install from within Windows XP. If you do try to install from within XP you wont be given the necessary options to install Vista alonside Windows XP. Instead it will want to upgrade XP to Vista thereby losing your copy of XP."

Which is the correct procedure please - I don't want to screw this up and overwrite WinXP - thanks

Totally-braindead 13:45 15 Feb 2007
  toniee 15:12 15 Feb 2007

Thanks for this - I did read this thread before but it does not really answer my question

Zeppelyn 16:14 15 Feb 2007

Do you have full or upgrade version of Home Premium? If full then boot from Vista DVD and choose custom installation to point to 2nd hard drive. If you have upgrade version then its a little trickier but can be done.

click here

for a guide on how to do it

toniee 16:42 15 Feb 2007

I have a full version - so I will boot computer from the Vista Home Premium DVD - Many thanks for this advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?