driver problems and admin privileges

MisoSestak 20:40 31 May 2014

Hi guys,

so my friend came to me that he had some problems with his notebook. I thought I'd solve these in a matter of minutes as I am pretty experienced. But I see it's a bit more complicated...

So here's the issue. The system isn't recognizing usb devices when I plug them in (mouse, external hdd, phone) but it recognized my usb flashdrive.. so I looked into the drivers. I had problems installing/updating the drivers and Windows updates too. Here are some screens:

click here ideas on how to make some progress?

Thanks

http://i57.tinypic.com/htsqb7.jpg

Any

MisoSestak 20:43 31 May 2014

The formatting is messed up somehow and I can't edit the post. Sorry about that.

BRYNIT 23:53 31 May 2014

Knowing the Make/model of the notebook would help.

From the picture I see that the 3D video controller driver which is related to your video card is corrupt or missing. The Universal Serial bus (USB) controller driver is corrupt or missing preventing USB devices from working. Why this has happened its anyone's guess. Has your friend had any problems with BSOD or the notebook closing down for no reason?

You could try booting into safe mode and try to delete/uninstall the 3 items reboot and see if they will find the correct drivers.

If the notebook has a recovery partition restore it to factory default should hopefully rectify this problem. Remember if not already done, to back up all you files before doing this.

MisoSestak 06:38 01 Jun 2014

Thanks for the answer! Ye, I forgot the notebook make.. it's a Lenovo z500 model 20202. I already tried to uninstall those drivers but they just didn't go away. But not through safe mode. I am going to try that now.

As far as I know he didn't have any previous issues.

MisoSestak 06:42 01 Jun 2014

So an update... I managed to uninstall the drivers but it failed to re-install them back on.

BRYNIT 21:25 01 Jun 2014

After rebooting did it search for new drivers? if not is has not detected the Universal Serial bus (USB) controller. In safe mode go to device manager right click on user name at top of list and select scan for hardware changes to see if it will find the Universal Serial bus (USB) controller and allow you to install the driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?