Does Windows 7 work with ZoneAlarm Free & AVG Free

feather39 18:36 06 Feb 2010

At present my Dad is running XP on a very old computer and uses AVG Free and ZoneAlarm Free. He is about to purchase a new computer which runs Windows 7 and he was wondering whether ZoneAlarm Free and AVG Free work with Win7?

morddwyd 19:17 06 Feb 2010

You'll need to get Win 7 versions of the programmes, also free.

However in Win 7 most people seem to find the Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials are adequate.

I have been running ZA and AVG free versions for years, but have not yet installed them with the new o/s.

Haven't made my mind up finally, but the Windows firewall and MSE should keep your Dad safe until, like me, he makes his mind up!

dms_05 13:05 07 Feb 2010

I've been running Windows 7 since the very early beta versions and have always used the Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. Initially I checked using programs like AVG to make sure nothing was getting past the MS programs and nothing ever did. So for the past few months I've just used the MS security without any problems - they integrate seamlessly and are transparent to the user which is exactly what they should be. I wouldn't install 3rd party security when MS are doing it so well.

jakimo 14:07 07 Feb 2010

AVG has a compatible version that runs with Win7

g0nvs 19:18 09 Feb 2010

I use both the free versions of ZoneAlarm & AVG with Win 7, without any problems.

feather39 16:59 10 Feb 2010

Thanks g0nvs for your reply. Which version of ZoneAlarm free are you using with Windows 7?

Which version of AVG Free are you using with Windows 7?

g0nvs 18:48 12 Feb 2010

AVG. 9.0.733

ZA. 9.1.007.002.

Hope this helps.

feather39 09:56 13 Feb 2010

Thanks g0nvs for the information. I will install these on my Dad's new computer and see what happens as he prefers these programs for security and understands them.

g0nvs 15:26 13 Feb 2010

Don't forget to turn off Windows Firewall.

Technocrate 11:43 02 Mar 2010

ZoneAlarm Internet Security offers several enhanced features like:

• It monitors changes within your computer to spot and stop new attacks that bypass traditional Anti-Virus protection.
• It blocks fake websites that trick you into entering personal data.
• It provides protection against Cyber criminals by making your PC invisible online and blocking intrusions.
• It keeps your identity safe with daily credit report monitoring and provides victim recovery services.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?