Does it have to say upgrade to vista?

Internetwhizzkid 16:51 07 Nov 2006

hi,
i will be getting a laptop for christmas. Now i want to get one so that i get a upgrade to windows vista

Here is a good one.
click here
Now that is the type that i want. but i need a upgarde to vista.

The above laptop has windows media center and on microsoft it says.
"NEWS: Get an Express Upgrade to Windows Vista when you buy a qualifying PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition."

But does this mean that u can get a upgarde with any pc or laptop with media center or is it just certain ones.

I would love to know

Thanks
Ben

Jimmy14 17:16 07 Nov 2006

Any PC or laptop bought between October 26th and March 17th 2007(think) is eligible for a free upgrade to Vista. Media center edition is upgradable free to Home premium , home edition to home basic edition and so on with any computer.

Genius1 20:50 07 Nov 2006

Your prospective laptop will be able to run Windows Vista - in fact, it's 'Premium Ready' which means it can run better than Vista Home Basic. I'm not sure whether all manufacturers are providing the free upgrade on all of their machines.

As Jimmy14 says, XP Media Centre qualifies for a free upgrade to Vista Home Premium, XP Home for Vista Home Basic and XP Professional for Vista Business.

Genius1 20:51 07 Nov 2006

Well, the upgrade is free with Dell and only P&P to pay with Mesh, not sure about PCW.

Totally-braindead 00:24 08 Nov 2006

I would ask them. I know most PC manufacturers are listing a free upgrade to Vista but they are not all doing so hence I think it may be up to the manufacturer or retailer.
If you are really wanting Vista it makes sense to ask them before purchase and to be totally safe I'd really want something in writing stating that the upgrade will be free. Some PCs are coming with a voucher.
I do notice the laptop you have picked is out of stock at the moment so theres time to ask.

Internetwhizzkid 07:04 08 Nov 2006

Thats good well we will be going for dell now so please ignore any other pcs or laptops i have posted,

Thanks
Ben

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?