Does a faster CPU help

Ali Nahavandi 18:00 07 Feb 2015

Hi.My computer have become extremely slow lately. I have tried all clean ups with no significant difference.

My question: Can I help speed by upgrading my CPU to a newer one. I have: Intel Core i7 940 Nehalem 2.93GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor. (6mb of ram on GIGABYTE M.B GA-EX58-UD5.) ? Any help would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:44 07 Feb 2015

My computer have become extremely slow lately

so it was fast enough at one time then?

several reasons for slowdown

hard drive becoming full

not enough space for virtual memory

too many programs running in the background

an i7 with 6Gb of RAm should be pretty fast enough for most people, what are you using the machine for and why do you think it has slowed down?

rdave13 18:44 07 Feb 2015

That's a decent CPU. What clean-ups have you done?

Have you checked the running temp of the CPU as if it heats up a bit too much then it will throttle in. If an ordinary Sata drive have you defragged? Ran your security programs? Ran Ccleaner? Checked your GPU drivers.

alanrwood 19:55 07 Feb 2015

The usual reason is just general Windows clutter and a complete reinstall is probably the quickest way to bring it back. With your set up there is absolutely no point in upgrading the CPU for 99% of activities.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?