Does Buffalo usb3 drive need Buffalo usb3 pci card

gossylad 21:09 01 Feb 2010

I recently purchased a Buffalo 2tb usb3 external drive and a icy box usb3 pci card. (See 'New usb3 pci card not mounting usb3 external drive' in this forum for more details.)

However, after installing the card in my pcie x1 slot it will let me read everything I put in it which is usb2. But it will not let me mount anything that is usb3.

In small print on the Buffalo Manaul which I downloaded from their site, it states:

'* A USB3.0 interface manufactured by Buffalo is required to use this drive at SS mode specified by USB 3.0 standard (logical transfer speed 5.0Gbps).'

Surely they can't expect us to buy the Buffalo usb3 pci just to get this drive to work! Am sure lots of other people will go for a cheaper pci card that does the same job too.

Also, I don't really want to purchase the Buffalo pci card and have the same trouble again as I did already.

gardener 23:54 01 Feb 2010

As far as I know Windows 7 doesn't support USB 3 yet. Support will be added at a later date, probably incorporated in a Service Pack.

gossylad 22:32 02 Feb 2010

Have got in touch with Buffalo by email and have responses back, so will see what happens.

They have asked if pcie slots are version 2, know x16 slot is but not sure about x1 slots. Asus says that it supports pcie 2.0.

But even if the usb3 pci card is put in a x1 slot that is only version 1, then the only difference is that the speed would be halved.

The card should still mount the drive itself, or I am thinking wrong?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?