Do I need this windows update for playing games?

Esc4p3 14:19 17 Apr 2008

I installed the Crysis demo last night on my Vista machine, and had a popup message saying that I had a windows update missing - Kb 940105

click here

I had a read through the description, which makes little sense to me. So I ignored the message and Crysis plays fine. So, do I need the patch or not. I am up to date with Win updates except SP1 has not come through yet. Thanks in advance, Carl :-)

anskyber 14:38 17 Apr 2008

The short answer is if the game plays OK then probably no.

The longer answer is it rather depends on your graphics card and which other things are running when you play the game.

Depending on all of these things you may reach a different conclusion. The patch is intended to deal more effectively with memory allocation so that it is fully optimised.

If it was me I would install the patch, it can only help if one day the things it does are needed by your machine.

Esc4p3 15:26 17 Apr 2008

Thanks anskyber. Thinking about it, I have another game, colin Mcrea Dirt, which although mainly fine does have the odd jerky motion. I have an nVidia 8800 Gts 640mb card with the latest certified forceware driver if that makes any difference.

Esc4p3 15:28 17 Apr 2008

2 gig of system Ram.....

anskyber 15:30 17 Apr 2008

In that case I would definitely install the patch, it is mostly aimed at people with powerful and memory rich graphics cards like yours. Lucky devil!

Esc4p3 17:11 17 Apr 2008

Aye, I blew my bonus on that last June much to the wife's annoyance! :-)

Will install tonight.

[email protected] 23:50 17 Apr 2008

kb 940105 is in sp1, so you should need it for most games to avoid v ram re starts. click here you can install this patch directly to any version.

[email protected] 23:51 17 Apr 2008

for the full game obviously...

Esc4p3 09:20 21 Apr 2008

I have installed the update and can't say I have seen a massive performance boost, but there is not a drop in performance either. Thanks for feedback, will tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?