Do i have to pay to keep using windows 10?

Henrique Lourenco 19:57 05 Jun 2017

So im planning on ordering a laptop that comes with windows 10 pre-instaled in 3 weeks. So, after getting this laptop, do I have to pay for windows 10 again(like in a subscrition?) or can i use it forever? This is the laptop btw: click here

wee eddie 20:21 05 Jun 2017

You can use Windows 10 for the life of the laptop it is installed on. When the Laptop dies, your licence to use Windows 10 dies with it.

Henrique Lourenco 01:48 06 Jun 2017

But do i still get the updates?

Forum Editor 07:33 06 Jun 2017

Yes, you do.

Govan1x 13:21 06 Jun 2017

Well I read last year that Microsoft will start charging for each update to W10 in the future.

Obviously they cant keep giving us updates without charging as they have got to make income some way.

You may say that they are making it with every computer that is sold with W10 on it. But when everyone has it how are they going to make it pay.

Govan1x 13:26 06 Jun 2017

I also read that certain things will be built into new Computers so that you can only get W10 on them and nothing else.

I believe that would do away with dual booting etc.

Not got a clue where i got the information from and whether true or not. Just have to wait and see i suppose.

Another new update due out this year i believe.

Forum Editor 14:18 06 Jun 2017

Govan1x

Microsoft’s Gabriel Aul is on record as saying there will be no fees for Windows 10 updates. Microsoft published the following clarification, back in June 2016:-

"Once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost."

Govan1x 09:26 07 Jun 2017

W7 probably lasted about 6 years and W8 even less. I suppose they were supposed to be lifetime licences as well.

It does not seem probable to me that they can keep updating or upgrading W10 indefinitely without charging. it would probably be financial suicide.

Well that's the way I see it. No doubt Microsoft know what they are doing maybe it was just a sales gimmick to get everyone to buy it.

I suppose it all boils down to what they call a lifetime.

wee eddie 09:54 07 Jun 2017

No one said "a lifetime"

What has been said is "The lifetime of the piece of equipment it came with"!

While many will keep their PC for 5 years or so, most will have replaced them before 10 years are up.

If Windows 10 is to be the Ultimate Version of Windows, frequently tweaked but never superseded, that that makes sense.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires