Disk Scanning and Low Memory

Stugadget 23:02 06 Aug 2007

This one is driving me absolutely mad please help.

I have an Acer Aspire Laptop running Windows Vista which was pre-installed. I have 1 Gb memory. I use the PC most evenings and all of a sudden the disk drive starts whirring away and it seems to be doing some sort of scan of the drive. The memory usages jumps to 95 to 98 % and the pc slows right down and becomes totally unusable.

Whatever is running starts at different times and lasts for about half an hour.

I have turned off auto defrag.

Anyone have any ideas what is running and how to stop it ?

Thanks

Jimmy14 23:24 06 Aug 2007

Right click your taskbar, click task manager, click resource manager on the bottom right, click continue if you have User Account Control on. Click the arrow going down to expand the Disk menu. Where it says Read(B/Min) click it. Take a note of what it says below "Image" and the next column along "File". Report back and I will investigate further what is causing this hard drive activity.

crosstrainer 09:33 07 Aug 2007

Your anti-virus software running 2gb better for a laptop I have an aspire, runs 2gb no perfomence drop.

Check your Virus / spyware settings as these can be disabed (but don't forget to run them)

Stugadget 20:57 07 Aug 2007

Jimmy14, I can follow your instructions until you say "click resource manager on the bottom right" I can not see resource manager anywhere ?

gudgulf 21:28 07 Aug 2007

I suspect it's the SuperFetch system caching your most used applications into memory.

Have a look at click here

You av and antispyware applications active guard components will also be scanning the memory as SuperFetch does it's caching.

All in All it means a lot of hard disc activity and that will affect any programs you try to load.

Give the pc a few minutes to settle down after boot up.

TweakGuides does a good downloadable guide to Vista click here

It's an in depth guide in a zipped pdf format,and it's free.Very long but the section on SuperFetch should explain things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?