A disk read error occurred on Vista premium laptop

LAPTOPBABE 23:59 25 Jan 2009

Hi,
Microsoft have been helping me with a problem with windows explorer. I have been rang every night and they have tried all sorts, the probelm is to do with permissions. He has been taking charge of my computer remotely and on Thursdayu night he did something within the registry. He then came out of that and asked me to try altering attributes on the folder, but to do it on all three of my laptops. This still didn't work and so I emailed him to tell him. I turned off the laptop and went to bed. When I tried to turn it on the next morning a screen comes up saying
A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
I have tried this several times and it just comes up with the same and does not boot.
I have tried putting in my recovery discs but still the same. Microsoft should be ringing again Monday night, but has anyone ideas what is wrong?
Thanks.

LAPTOPBABE 00:03 26 Jan 2009

I should say that the reason I had to do the attributes on all three laptops is because the folders I want to edit are on a network drive and it is not allowing this on any of our laptops. But what he has done to my registry i don't know.

MAJ 01:19 26 Jan 2009

Sounds like a faulty hard drive, or a loose connection to the hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?