disabling automatic actions

chub_tor 17:13 09 Mar 2008

Sometimes my Vista laptop opens and closes programmes when I hover the mouse pointer over programme buttons - this can be annoying for example if emails get sent before I have finished writing them or programmes close before I have finished using them.
I'm sure that this automatic operation can be disaabled but I'm damned if I can find out how to do it.
Can someone point this OAP in the right direction please.

mrwoowoo 18:21 09 Mar 2008

It's possible to left click by tapping the mouse navigation area of the touchpad. The pad settings has an option to turn this off and on.
Don't have a vista laptop but it must be in control panel under touchpad or mouse or something similar.

mrwoowoo 18:30 09 Mar 2008

Just had a lok around in the control panel.
Control Panel/Ease Of Access and click on "Make
the mouse easier to use" and
see if there is a check mark in the "Activate a window by hovering over it
with the mouse" option.

chub_tor 18:57 09 Mar 2008

Just checked the setting that you suggested but the box is not ticked so that's not why it is happening.

mrwoowoo 20:12 09 Mar 2008

A bit basic,but have you tried a system restore to before it started happening?

chub_tor 20:36 09 Mar 2008

It's not a recent thing, it has been happening since the laptop was new. Most of the time it is not a problem but I am teaching the missus to use a laptop and naturally being a beginner she is slow. This emphasises the problem as while she is making up her mind as to whether or not she wants to take an action the laptop takes the action for her. Still hoping for others to join this thread and give some advice.

Jim_F 09:56 10 Mar 2008

Tapping the touchpad counts as a mouse click and sometimes this is set to be very sensitive.

If you have a Synaptics touchpad then you should have a Device setting for touch sensitivity which you can adjust for heavy touch.

Its generally preferable to get drivers form the manufacturer of your laptop but if they don't work Synaptics have a download site:
click here

chub_tor 15:22 10 Mar 2008

Jim_F that's a good suggestion and I have given it a go. I still think that the actions take place while the mouse pointer is hovering but I guess that we could be accidentally touching the pad as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone