DirectX 9 or 10?

wizza68 07:38 26 Jan 2007

Hello,

I will be purchasing a new computer soon which will come with Vista Home Premium.

However I keep reading about having to have a graphics card that supports DirectX 10. Most cards at the moment seem to support DirectX 9.

So if I get a DirectX 9 card what Vista features will I not be able to use and/or will I really see a difference?

Thanks for your advice.

Coltch 08:08 26 Jan 2007

A DirectX 9 card is fine for Vista, the only thing that you won't benefit from is DirectX 10 specific games which will need DX10 certified hardware to show everything in all its glory.

I'm running a DX9 graphics card and everything works fine (full Aero etc.).

The only thing I can't stand is some games reporting I have the wrong version of DirectX (DX10 ships with Vista) and refusing to run.

Mr Mistoffelees 08:23 26 Jan 2007

The only graphics cards currently available that support DirectX10 are the nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS and GTX. Given the pace of graphics card development we should greater choice, including cheaper options, quite soon.

Kate B 09:17 26 Jan 2007

Sit tight for a few weeks and buy a PC with a DX10 card. A good DX9 card is nice but it will in effect be obsolete soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?