direct x on vista

yellows 18:15 05 Jun 2007

i know there is a version of direct x on vista but as microsoft are always updateing it what version can i use to update my version that came with my vista 32 bit operating system? the reason i want to update is because on xp i use to do it a lot and it was better for gameing but not sure which version i should upgrade to.

anskyber 19:16 05 Jun 2007

As far as I am aware Vista comes with DirectX 10 and is exclusive to Vista. You should not need to do anything. DirectX 9 was the version you will have used in XP.

Anti_Virus 10:52 08 Jun 2007

anskyber is right. The DirectX version on Vista (whichever version i.e Home Premium, Ultimate etc.) is Version 10, and it is indeed exclusive to Vista, so, for the forseeable future at least, you can't get it on XP. As fas as I know, Microsoft aren't planning to updgrade version 10 anytime soon either. So, unless you hear otherwise, you don't need to do anything, like anskyber said.

Coltch 15:51 08 Jun 2007

For certain games to run in Vista you will need to install a couple of the update files for DX9c into the windows system directory. This was certainly the case whilst I was using RC2.

Anti_Virus 21:28 08 Jun 2007

Btw yellows, if, for future reference, you ever want to find out what version of Direct X you have, open the run command and type in dxdiag and press Enter. This opens a Direct X Control Panel that tells you which version of Direct X you have (along with some other preety useful info about your pc).

Ben 216 21:56 10 Jun 2007

When you need an updated version of Direct X it usually comes on the game disc. There are no games yet that require DX10. They'll be a while yet, most games in production currently will use DX9.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?