Did you upgrade or buy PC with Vista preinstalled?

simon_lambert 21:08 22 Feb 2007

Looking around at the forums, there seem to be alot of people who have had problems with upgrading to Vista, but I can't see any threads by someone who has bought a new PC with Vista on it (which is what I plan to do). So I was wondering, if you have just bought a new machine with Vista, does it work ok, any problems? (particularly networking?). Thanks

kinger 21:23 22 Feb 2007

I have upgraded two and fresh installed one.

All run fine apart from a couple of driver issues (easily sorted once the vendor supplies the update).

New PC's will have the updated drivers already installed but most people will install their favourite programs and may well find they don't work properly until they too update the appropriate files.

But, as I say, this is easily done.

I've had no problems with networking but there is one thing to remember.

If you have a Vista PC but others on your network are XP, there is a special download from Microsoft's site that upgrades XP and enables it to network with Vista PC's. It's called 'LLTD msxp' and, once installed on any XP computers, networking runs like a dream.

You an always use a program like 'Network Magic' to help you. The latest version works well with Vista.

simon_lambert 21:33 22 Feb 2007

Cheers mate, that was really helpful. The other PC I wanted to network with is on XP, I will check out that patch. Cheers, Si

PurplePenny 23:09 22 Feb 2007

I've just got a new PC with Vista. I've only installed Firefox and Thunderbird so far but no problems at all with them.

kinger - nice tip abut the MS network download, I'll need it.

anskyber 23:09 22 Feb 2007

Do you have a link to LLTD msxp?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires