Desperately Need XP/Vista Networking Help

NaciremaDream 17:38 23 Aug 2007

Hello all,

I will soon be having white hair if I don't figure this out.

Okay, so I have windows XP and Vista on the network, as well as another XP laptop but it's not in the picture right now, and a SpeedStream Router.

So I have a few files on my XP Machine, and I want to transfer them to my Vista machine because of low hard disk space on my XP.

Yesterday I transfered a folder, but when it reaches 5seconds left to move or copy folder it freezes. When I go onto the Vista machine it seems the folder is there, but as soon as I try to play the videos in that folder I see a progress bar loading where the address path is displayed for the given folder. It just keeps loading and eventually freezes and the taskbar disapears. So I restart explorer.exe through new task in the task manager.

WTV, next day i try to transfer another file and I get this error while trying to access the Vista folder from my XP Machine:
computerName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions.
The server service is not started.

So I do a little research and decide to close Norton on my Vista by ending it's process.

Okay I can transfer files again but same problem, it freezes at 5seconds remaining.

When I try to access the folder I sent to Vista from XP, just single clicking on that folder freezes my computer and windows explorer opens my documents.

WHAT DO I DOOO?

I hate Vista, it's horrible.
And it used to work a few weeks ago.

Can anyone help me?

brundle 18:44 23 Aug 2007

Start menu/start, type services.msc, make sure the "Computer Browser" and "Server" services are started and set to Auto. Has Norton added the network IP ranges to it's trusted network entries?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone