Desktop with Windows 8.1 won't recognize hdd

mik61ish 03:22 24 Dec 2014

I have just bought 2= 1TB seagate sata 3.5" hdd and I have put one into my desktop pc and it doesn't recognize the drive I have a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V motherboard it comes up as primary drive how do I format it so as I can use as a slave or put another os onto it? I have just tried to start windows with all 3 hard drives connected and now its corrupted my win 8.1 and won't start won't recognize any hdd now. Tried gparted in a live linux dvd and its = Error fsyncing/closing/dev/sda/sda: Input/ output error Is it a bios problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:07 24 Dec 2014

No its a HDD error

Remove the drive and check 8.1 is working

if not try a startup repair.

mik61ish 19:46 24 Dec 2014

I have tried with the original HDD with 8.1 and it tries to repair etc but just fails

AroundAgain 23:55 24 Dec 2014

Is it maybe to do with allocating drive letters? I've just changed the 'C' drive on my desktop and it didn't 'see' any other drives.

So, Windows key + R, type in 'diskmgmt.msc' (without the quotes). That takes you to the Disk Management window. Click on the drive that your 'C' drive doesn't see, allocate it an appropriate letter (mine was 'E' so I reallocated it 'E'). Close the window and check in Windows Explorer. I can't remember if I needed to restart the pc or not, so you might have to restart your computer.

Well, I don't know if that will solve your problem but it's worth a try, eh?

Hope this helps. Do post back with the outcome.

AroundAgain 23:56 24 Dec 2014

By the way, Happy Christmas ;) Shouldn't have forgotten, should I, especially as it's only a few mins before 12mn

Happy Christmas to everyone, particularly all of you who have helped me :)

mik61ish 23:27 25 Dec 2014

I have put one of the 1TB hdd into an external enclosure windows won't format it comes up with hard drive in 3 sections

(G:) 350 MB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition) System reserved (F:) 350 MB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition) (E:) 930.83 GB RAW Healthy (Primary Partition)

Would have liked to attach screenshot but couldn't see how?

So how do I format this drive so as can install windows?

rdave13 00:24 26 Dec 2014

You should change the partition table to GPT on the OS drive. The rest can be MBR. You have UEFI instead of bios. Have a look here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017