delete vista/ install XP

alan2273 23:39 09 Jul 2007

How can you delete Vista and install XP, I have tried to do it using a full XP pro CD but you cannot delete the Vista partition.
So how do I delete the Vista partition so I can install XP.
I only have a Vista home premium recovery disk.

LastChip 00:21 10 Jul 2007

You need to format the hard drive, but keep in mind you will DESTROY ALL THE DATA on the drive.

This can be achieved in any number of ways. If you know the manufacturer of the hard drive, they normally have downloadable utilities for their drives. If you have a floppy drive on the machine, you could use a Windows 98 start-up floppy and use fdisc to format the drive, or even download and burn a copy of Knoppix click here and use one of the many useful tools to format your drive.

Cesare 06:53 17 Jul 2007

Microsoft Upgrade Advisor gives me the green light to upgrade as all important items are compatable. An error occurs during upgrade. The windows giving error info comes on and goes off, in a flash, but I could just read, 'error..srscan' or something similar. I clicked , Repair Start up software, and it took over 1-2hrs of repairing, so I stopped it. and clicked to Install Vista. but after putting in the Product Key and enabling the License Terms, I got UPGRADE HAS BEEN DISABLED with a suggestion to try CUSTOM(Advanced) upgrade & to proceed upgrade from Windows!! This meant loosing present settings, programs & files, so I quit and reinstalled WinXP.
Could this have happened because my HD is divided into four parts? My available free space is 68GB out of 120GB. I also have an external HD of 250GB which was unplugged. Could this have caused some error? I also switched off my HP scanner.I have Dell Dimension 4600 Pentium4 CPU 266GHZ, system RAM 2.50GB.

Cesare 06:57 17 Jul 2007

sorry I placed the above in error. See new open thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?