Defragmenting Boot files. What a difference !!

mooly 17:38 25 Sep 2008

Have noticed over the last few weeks my boot times increasing, so much so that sometimes the system tray icons such as "network" and "battery" etc time out and don't appear.
Tried doing a defrag of the boot files via a command prompt
defrag C:\ -b
What a difference ! Seems to have knocked around 30% of the boot time. Try it.

Forum Editor 18:10 25 Sep 2008

and it's worth adding that to do this you must run the command as an administrator. Right-click the command prompt icon in All Programs/accessories, and select 'Run as administrator'

sunny staines 19:05 25 Sep 2008

noted, looks a handy tip will try later

sunny staines 19:22 25 Sep 2008

run up a problem. The option run as administrator does not come up if I right click "run".

I am the only user.

getting the error

"this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the set association control panel"

where do I go for here please?

skidzy 19:41 25 Sep 2008

You have selecting the Command prompt from Accessories as FE says ?

Just right click the command prompt,this will give you the option to run as Admin.Agree to UAC prompts,this should then give you the black box window.

sunny staines 19:58 25 Sep 2008

managed to get to administrator command prompt.
on entering the command it gave various options -c,-a,-r,-w,-f,-v,? but none for -b or an option for boot files, sorry for being slow but need more help to crack this one.

sunny staines 20:08 25 Sep 2008

put a space between \ -b the cursor dropped a line and a lot of thrashing from hdd. should it not show anything on the command prompt screen

sunny staines 20:24 25 Sep 2008

restart seemed slow, not sure if it worked or I failed somewhere.

I was expecting some feedback in the Command promt screen but nothing other than the curser flashing on the next line

sunny staines 20:28 25 Sep 2008

found this registry tweak, not tried it yet

click here

sunny staines 20:46 25 Sep 2008

found these points by trawling google which answers my missing info that I needed.

included below for others.

You won’t see any output in the command prompt during the defrag process.
When it’s finished defragmenting a new line will appear in the command prompt.

Note: You can stop a defrag running from the command prompt at any time by pressing Ctrl+C on your keyboard.

sunny staines 22:26 25 Sep 2008

its a bit confusing at first, but if you follow the mooly instruction plus my note at 20;46 it may become clearer.

just stick to defrag C:\ -b

leave out the -v> C:\Defrag.txt.

i do not think it reports to a text file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?