data transfer and syncronize XP & Vista PCs

Newuser3477 18:36 01 Dec 2007

I have just purchased a high end Tosiba laptop to go with my high end Dell PC.
Does anyone know of a data transfer cable and software which will enable me to syncronize files on the two computers?
Also any recommendations for a simple data transfer cable.
Peter
ps I dont seem to be able to use my orange live box as a networking router to transfer files - is this to be expected ( the laptop networks fine to the live box and the PC is conncted by cable)

anskyber 18:40 01 Dec 2007

This explains much of it. click here

anskyber 18:43 01 Dec 2007

Have you set up a network? click here I must admit I had to play around a bit to get my XP and Vista machines to talk to each other.

Newuser3477 22:55 01 Dec 2007

Thanks anskyber, I had tried the wizard but altough my laptop networks through my Orange LiveBox for internet etc it didn't recognize the network for data transfer. I was hoping someone could recommend a data transfer cable with software which will allow me to syncronize files on the two computers in the same way as my Palm hand held syncronizes with Microsoft Outlook on my PC.
Any thoughts on whether I should be able to net work through the Orange Live BOX ?
Peter

Zeppelyn 20:27 09 Dec 2007

I use on of these and its very quick too, also widely available.

TRUST NB-7500P USB 2.0 Data Transfer Cable

Newuser3477 23:20 09 Dec 2007

Thanks for responses . I did buy the Belkin easy transfer and syncronize cable, I expect the Trust cable would have been cheaper.I am disappointed so far with the transfer cable. In the main I want to transfer single files.This goes fine but in order to repeat I have to diconnect all cables and start again to initiate link. There was no useful guidnace if I wanted to transfer a second file. I also found I could not transfer my Microsoft Money data to my Vista PC.
Any thoughts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?