Create new backup disk in Windows 7

Guady 13:20 05 Apr 2014

I have been trying to create a new version of my BackUp disk and it just won't do it! I get an error Code: 0x8007045D but when I look for this on the MS help site, it's so complicated that I really can't understand it! It talks about changing the Registry - which I think is beyond my capabilities. It does say it's an important fault, though! So - please can anyone help me by explaining in simple terms what I should do to try to get over the problem. I have a very old BackUp disk from last year (I know I should do it more often!) but thought it better to try doing a full new one, as I'd left it so long between times. Please help!

BRYNIT 14:06 05 Apr 2014

What are you trying to back up?

What program are you using to create the backup disk?

Guady 14:24 05 Apr 2014

I'm using the Windows 7 BackUp program and want to just do a general backup of my laptop. The last time I did this it went okay and I still have the DVD but - as it's quite some time ago - I now want to prepare a completely new version on a different DVD.

lotvic 19:37 05 Apr 2014

"want to just do a general backup of my laptop"

Do you want to back up your personal data files and folders in your Documents and your emails?

and/or Windows 7 operating system, installed programs etc.

It won't all fit on a DVD. A DVD will only hold just over 4GB

Aitchbee 10:43 06 Apr 2014

I would suggest using check disk on your main (C:) drive by clicking on error-checking under the TOOLS tab and tick both of the check disk options.

This will schedule a thorough check of your system files and hard drive in case of errors [at the next restart].

Perhaps a system restore to an earlier time might also be helpful for you to backup to some blank DVDs using the W7 backup program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017