CPU Upgrade on Packard Bell system

Audio~~Chip 13:38 30 Nov 2008

HiYa all,

Friend asked if I can upgrade the CPU on her Packard Bell Model IStart D2314, & Bell S/n:818007840334 which house a ECS motherboard Bell call the Denver its actually a ECS MCP73VT-PM v1

Packard bell state it can support upto 1066FSB and other newer intels but my thought is with it being windows Vista Premium pre-installed, if upgrading to say a Duo Core E7300 CPU would this cause Vista Activation to go off with a hardware change.

Reason being the basic CPU fitted is the lowest Duo core and its sluggish.

Thank U.

chub_tor 14:40 30 Nov 2008

The sluggishness is more likely to be to do with the amount of RAM that he has rather than the processor. I know that this doesn't answer your question but make sure that he has the maximum amount of RAM he can install first.

Audio~~Chip 15:04 30 Nov 2008

I will get back when I have her CPU model No. in a bit. The windows is Vista 32bit Premium. Has 2x DIMM Slots I know the max for this is 3GB but they donna make 1.5GB Dimms yet. Would that extra 1GB really be advantageous ?

Audio~~Chip 15:12 30 Nov 2008

I think this anyway. She as a Duo Core E2160 which is showing as 1.85Ghz. research shows it has a 800MHz FSB and low l2 cache.

Again, my main question is would upgrading the CPU cause problems with Vista Activation? when its already installed as its Pre-installed. I remember XP didn't like too many component changes is vista the same ?

chub_tor 09:25 01 Dec 2008

You are correct that 32 bit versions of Vista and XP don't register much more than 3Gb of Ram but you can put in 2 sticks of 2Gb for maximum use. I upgraded from 2 x 512Mb and got a big difference.

My guess is that changing the CPU would require re-validation but I have never found this a problem. If it won't allow you to do it online then the screen gives you a phone number to call. As long as you have all the details to hand and type them in as they are dictated to you it then re-validation by phone is not a problem.

I have re-validated my system several times because of upgraded changes and found the procedure simple.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?