copyright protection problem with vista

sunny staines 17:59 27 Sep 2006

the daily mail david attenborough wildlife dvd's will not play in visa due to copyright protection.
no problem with xp. is this DRM gone overboard?

ade.h 18:32 27 Sep 2006

If any other media players such as Jet Audio can run with Vista, would that get around DRM? Presumably it circumvents it. Maybe there will be an increase in their use among Vista owners.

Forum Editor 00:08 28 Sep 2006

Probably.

Things like this will need to be addressed, and undoubtedly they will - but when, and by whom is anyone's guess.

sunny staines 10:12 28 Sep 2006

Has any any software companies brought out any software to clean DRM from a computer looking for a freeware one if possible to download.

Forum Editor 17:07 30 Sep 2006

It's there for a reason.

sunny staines 17:46 30 Sep 2006

yes, its problematic in playing genuine disc's as i mentioned at the start of this thread. i cannot see what microsoft gain by it. leaving it at the level in xp was fine.

mouse 20:13 30 Sep 2006

Read a article about Microsoft and DRM click here I don't think theres much chance of DRM being removed/toned down.

sunny staines 20:45 30 Sep 2006

mouse

thanks for the link, i was not after anything dodgy i thought a couple of genuine software makers may bring out software to clean it out so users using vista will not get frustrated like i was shown at start of thread but luckly had dual boot with xp.

lisa02 08:06 01 Oct 2006

Their content partners...

They'll be making money out of controlling what you can play and watch on your computer.

sunny staines 08:35 01 Oct 2006

lisa 02 are we talking big brother here?

Forum Editor 08:53 01 Oct 2006

To say that copyright owners will be "making money out of controlling what you can play and watch on your computer" is both nonsense and true, all at the same time.

Yes, a copyright holder will make money when you buy say, a music track, but then that's as it should be. Furthermore, that same copyright holder should have some control over what you do with his/her property. DRM prevents you from breaking the deal you make with that person or company by taking something you haven't paid for.

If you pay for one copy of a DVD flm for instance, the DRM prevents you from making 50 copies. No sensible person could argue with that - after all, when you buy a music track, or a film, you are buying a licence to play/watch what you've bought as many times as you like. You're not licenced to make lots of copies, which (for all the copyright holder knows) you could be flogging in the pub.

DRM technology allows for versatility in licencing; you could buy a licence for a permanent DVD copy of a film, or for a one-view download. At the moment DRM is in its early stages, and there's room for improvement. The technology will develop however, and as time goes on DRM will become far more versatile - there'll be all kinds of licencing variations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?