Copying Hard Drive from old laptop to new one

fangio821 14:42 02 May 2015

My laptop is in the process of finally dying. It is not worth repairing, so I have decided to purchase a new one of a different make. The old laptop has Windows 7 home edition and the new one will have Windows 8.0. Is it possible for me to copy the entire content of the old hard drive directly onto the new hard drive to preserve all my software and files? Most of the software is GNU apart from Microsoft Office V 7. It is an old version which I acquired legally when I bought the old laptop, so there should be no conflict with licences etc.

Batch 15:22 02 May 2015

No!

Firstly, in copying over the entire contents of the old hard drive would copy over the old operating system. This would not work as the old OS would not have been set-up for the new PC.

Secondly, virtually all of your old software will have been "installed" on the old PC. "Installation" of software entails a lot more than just copying across the program files.

You will need to source all of the software (and possibly licence keys) that you want on the new PC and install from scratch. Ninite might be a good starting point.

However, I guess you will want to copy YOUR data off the old system. You can either do this by using transfer utilities or by taking the old disk out of the old PC and putting into a USB caddy so that you can access the old disk on the new PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 02 May 2015

As above

you will need to reinstall programs data can be copied across either by networking the two machines or by removing the drive and conneting directly to a sta port or by using a caddy

Bailifei 04:08 04 May 2015

I have read some articles about clone hard drive to new laptop. They said some software can do this job without reinstalling everything. I have googled "clone hard drive software". And the first one listed is easyus disk copy and the second one is clonezilla.

lotvic 10:00 04 May 2015

Bailifei, Cloning the hard drive is not the appropriate solution. You have either misunderstood the problem or you are not familiar with what 'cloning' means.

robin_x 14:27 04 May 2015

It's possible to Migrate an OS sometimes.

But I think it's only MBR to MBR Disks and it's usually only available in Paid-for software.

Even then, I wouldn't recommend it. Lots of possibilities of problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?