Constant Windows 7 Updates on Shut Down

I upgraded to Windows 7 from the horrendous Vista some 9 months ago. Because of my situation it is imperative that I shut down and unplug my computer at end of each working day. Every day without fail I have to go through the ordeal of a minimum of 2 updates before shutdown is completed. The average for the last 250 days has been 3.7 whilst, on one ghastly occasion, there were 103. This entailed me staying in my office for 90 minutes whilst the damned thing updated. Is there any way in which I can schedule updates so as to enable me to actually leave my office on time? Just once would be nice!

Secret-Squirrel 10:18 13 Apr 2014

"Every day without fail I have to go through the ordeal of a minimum of 2 updates before shutdown is completed."

That's not right at all and it sounds like one or more updates are failing and your computer keeps trying to install them. You need to do this:

Go to Control Panel -> Windows Update -> "View Update History". Look through the list for any that are listed as "Failed", and if found, double-click on the entry to view the full details. Post back the following information and I'll see if I can offer a solution:

The update's KB code (for example KB2846960)

The failure code

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?