Connectivity Issues, please help!

AMT2315 05:46 18 Feb 2008

Good morning and thanks for viewing my thread!

I have came here to post about a problem I've had with my new PC which I bought about a month ago, and with problems since day 1, I decided to come here and ask for your assistance.

So the problem:

All basic programs default to my computer have no troubles at all connecting to the internet, such as Internet Explorer and Windows Live Messenger. At first, I couldn't get my favourite game to work, World of Wacraft, I had to disable my account protection according to the advice of a very friendly czech (who proved to be right)! :)

Anyway, as the days went by and as I downloaded new programs (which downloading wasn't a problem) and installing them, the growing problem became more and more, of which all of these programs that I downloaded (most of them) require my internet connection to get the full benefit out of them.

For example, I like to use Mozilla Firefox, but unfortunately enough it will not connect although IE does without any problems at all.

I try to use Ventrilo (a chat program for chatting while playing a game) but that also will not connect.

I later experimented with file sharing programs to test if they would connect, such as Limewire which wouldn't connect either. I moved on to multiple other pieces of software, only, to no surprise, they wouldn't connect either.

So I will politely ask here now if anything would be kind enough to bless me with your wisdom and attempt to help me fix this problem.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a 32-bit system.

PS

I would also like to mention one more thing: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know this problem isn't due to my router or network/internet settings for a number of reasons which are...

IE connects perfectly fine. Windows Live Messenger connects perfectly fine. I can download via my browser perfectly fine. All the other computers on my network (XP) run perfectly fine, with all programs (as did my old computer, also XP)

Oh and by the way, I have disabled Norton Anti Virus, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and Windows Security Center!

Sorry for the big long post, and hope not to waste anyone's time, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could attempt to fix my problem.

Thanks in advance and thanks for viewing my post!

anskyber 06:47 18 Feb 2008

You may need to allow the programs though your router firewall. click here

crosstrainer 10:02 18 Feb 2008

What you allow through. The choice is yours, but limewire is peer to peer virus hell!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone