Connection/Firefox query

ivesy 20:17 15 Jan 2011

YJust set up my parents brand new PC running Win 7 64 bit. Basically everything is fine except for 2 things which may be connected?

1) Even though I connect to the internet no problem the little blue circle continues to spin in the taskbar as if it's trying to connect.

2) I installed the latest version of firefox and that shows a banner along the top of the screen constantly saying something along the lines of updates are being downloaded.

I have a similair setup at home and have not come across this before.

I've also installed AVG, Ccleaner and Comodo firewall.

I'm going back tomorrow to have another look but would appreciate any help or advice!

Thanks

ivesy 08:21 16 Jan 2011

Ok i'll try that. Are there any other decent free firewalls? Zone alarm springs to mind. Or is the windows one enough? Thanks for the advice i'll try it later this morning.

ivesy 09:58 16 Jan 2011

Right without doing anything the blue circle has disappeared.

The message of Firefox still reads "Dowloading the latest applications" In a blue banner along the top of the screen" . I disabled the Firewall but it's still there.

I've just used IE8 and that has the exact same message? I've put the firewall back on.

I'm just wondering if this is one of the programs installed on the PC when it was shipped and it's struggling to update? I'm not sure how to find out what it is or where to find it though?

ivesy 10:01 16 Jan 2011

Just sorted it! It's the MSN toolbar! I've just gone into add ons and disabled it! So everything is good again......for now! Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017