Confused over upgrade from XP Pro

PaulB2005 15:01 21 Jan 2007

Currently have a PC with an OEM copy of XP Pro installed.

For business reasons I'm looking to upgrade to Vista as soon as possible - at least once my Vista RC 1 runs out anyway. I'd also like to Dual Boot with my current XP Pro installation for 12 - 18 months. I know i need to buy a new hard drive for Vista and upgrade Acronis True Image but it's the Vista Upgrade i can't settle on.

1) I was planning to go to Vista Home Premium but i understand from a couple of sites that XP Pro can't do that and has to upgrade to either the Business or Ultimate versions - see table half way down click here

2) Windows XP OEM licenses were only LEGALLY allowed to be installed on new PCs (not with some sort of token upgrade), but i can't find the plain English license terms for Vista. Also i understand that an OEM copy won't allow me to install dual boot anyway. Is this true?

3) Will the upgrade disks allow me to dual boot with my current XP Pro installation? It seems so but can any one confirm?

4) Finally say 18 months down the line i decide to ditch XP and clean install Vista will i be able to do this with the Vista upgrade disk by showing it my XP Pro OEM disk? I did this with my other PC when i upgraded it from 98 to XP Home.

sunny staines 15:33 22 Jan 2007

If aren't using one of these XP versions, you might still qualify for upgrade pricing, though you will need to perform a clean install of Windows Vista. (See my showcase, Can You Upgrade to Windows Vista?, for more information.)

sunny staines 15:35 22 Jan 2007

above copied from your link, just below the chart you mention.

PaulB2005 15:39 22 Jan 2007

Cheers. I did see this but i need maintain my XP installation until i fully migrate to Vista in a year or so.

I also understand that if you upgrade / install anything less than the Ultimate version you can upgrade with a credit card through a Control Panel icon.

Also all the DVDs are the same and it's the license key that unlocks the different versions. You can also try any version from any DVD for 30 days....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017