Computer hangs at welcome screen

greenkeen 11:19 03 Dec 2007

Hi,
My wife has recently bought a New HP G7010EA Laptop (3 weeks old). It suddenly restarted itself while opening an Excell spreadsheet-Virus free, and will now not get past the Welcome screen. I have tried last known good config and in safe mode but it still hangs at the welcome screen. The backup image is on the laptop so cannot access that.
Any ideas please.
Thanks
David

Covergirl 12:52 03 Dec 2007

Which welcome screen ? Vista or the Excel splash screen ?
If it's Vista that is hanging, you could try pressing the F key for the boot menu - (mines on F12 on an Acer desktop) but XP used to be F8 so try F8 first - just keep pressing F8 just after you've switched it on until you get a black screen with a load of options. Using the cursors, select "Last known good configuration" or "Safe Mode" and press enter. Give it 5 or 10 minutes to sort iteslf out - if the first one doesn't work, try Safe Mode. After it's got into Safe Mode, shut it down properly and restart normally. This usually clears things up.
If not, post again and see if anyone else can assist. Regards

greenkeen 14:00 03 Dec 2007

Hi, Thanks for the help. It was Vistas welcome screen it hung at. After a while pressing buttons F11 got me into HPs' repair/restore options and I managed to repair the system from there. I had already tried Safe mode using F8 but it would never load up, getting stuck at the welcome screen. Anyway it is OK now and thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?