Computer crashes when it enters fullscreen

BackDoorTechie 15:59 01 Nov 2014

Hello,

When ever I do something that goes into fullscreen mode or seems to refresh the screen my screen turns black and stays black. Then I must hold the power button to shut it down and restart since it is completely unresponsive. The hard drive activity light stops but it seems like the computer continues to run since the fan is still going, the keyboard back light is one and the WiFi light stays on. Some examples of when it crashes is when I open any game that is in fullscreen mode, if it is in windowed mode it runs fine. If I try to change the screen resolution it crashes. If I try to change screen orientation it crashes. I do not get any error messages.

I have tried rolling back my Video card driver. Updating my video card driver. Starting my computer with minimal services and programs open. But none of this matters, it still crashes.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 My laptop is a Dell Studio XPS 1645 It is completely stock as far as I know Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q740 @ 1.73GHz 4GB RAM

I am running ATI Catalyst Control Center Version 2010.0122.858.16002 My graphic card is a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

My screen Resolution is 1600x900 but I am currently running 1280x720 since it let me drop down the resolution but now it crashes when I try to turn it back up.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated and I thank you in advance

lotvic 19:24 01 Nov 2014

Well it's your video card ClickHere "today's modern demanding games should be playable on the medium preset, using a 720p resolution, though extremely demanding modern games such as Crysis 3 might require further reduced settings."

rdave13 21:59 01 Nov 2014

What PSU rating do you have ? Dell, as others, use the minimum PSU for the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?