Computer bypass's the password page on startup

bernvs 09:08 07 Dec 2014
Answered

I installed a password when starting up my laptop. After a few days it no longer asks for it, it just loads everything ready for use. I would prefer it to ask for my password.

Forum Editor 09:20 07 Dec 2014

Presumably you mean that you set a password in the BIOS? Windows will ask you for a password when it starts, but if it doesn't, press the Windows key + R and type: netplwiz.exe

Run this command, and a dialogue window will open showing all the user accounts for your computer. Make sure the box labelled 'Users must enter a username and password to use this computer' is ticked.

If your BIOS password is involved, go back into the BIOS and reset your password.

BT 12:18 07 Dec 2014

Forum Editor

That works for W7

For Win XP its Windows Key+R and type 'control userpasswords2'

bernvs 20:58 07 Dec 2014
Answer

Thanks for the responses. I am using Vista. I tried the Windows +R and the password is present in the large box and the small box above is ticked for it to be used. I should point out as a complete novice I restored this laptop from a corrupt position with the help of those who responded to my request (see techroom help a week or so ago for bernvs). As for your Bios reference I haven't a clue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?