Command Prompt - Drag & Drop

Peter 01:04 06 Jan 2008

When using the DOS (Command) Prompt with Windows 95 & 98SE I have been able to drag and drop file names from Windows Explorer, or the desktop, onto the command line of the DOS Prompt. For example when comparing files I type FC and a space into the command line and then drag and drop the file names onto the command line.

I have been trying to do this under Vista, but when I try to drag and drop a file name onto the command line all I get is a "No Entry" sign and I am unable to drop the file name onto the command line.

If anyone knows how to drag & drop onto the command line under Vista could you please explain how?

Peter.

MCE2K5 02:04 06 Jan 2008

I didn't know that, XP does it as well.

However that don't help you, Have you tried Copy & Paste.

BurrWalnut 09:39 06 Jan 2008

Copy (Ctrl + C) then paste by using the mouse right-click > Paste.

anskyber 10:39 06 Jan 2008

It has been removed as a feature for security reasons, there is a non Microsoft fix if you are so inclined. click here

Peter 19:26 06 Jan 2008

Thanks everyone for your replies, sorry to take so long to reply, but I have been a bit busy today.

MCE2K5 - There are probably quite a few people that do not know about the "drag and drop to the command line "feature and therefore won't miss it in Vista.

BurrWalnut - I found the copy and paste options on the edit menu of the DOS Box (Cntrl-C & Cntrl-V) don't work, but this does not capture the path to the file which can be a bit of a pain to type in.

anskyber - Thanks for the link; I will give it a good read and try it out when I get a chance.

Peter.

Peter 21:37 06 Jan 2008

BurrWalnut - Well at lease the Shift-Right Click menu option of "Copy as Path" goes some way to solving the problem.

Peter.

Peter 12:42 07 Jan 2008

I have downloaded and installed Send-To-Toys, which is useful for tailoring the Send-To menu, but the Shift-Right Click "Copy as Path" feature has been most useful if somewhat more tedious than the XP, and previous, drag and drop option.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?