coming out of sleep mode etherne connection broken

zzzxxx 17:23 02 Oct 2008

good morning...i am using a toshiba laptop (A215-S4757) running vista home premium with all updates and latest drivers...the network adapter is a Realtek RTL8101E PCI-E Fast Ethernet...my problem is when i come out of sleep or hibernate mode my internet connection is broken...by pulling the cable out and replugging the connection immediately works...this is not a major problem but a minor irritant...hope someone may have a solution....thanks....zzzxxx

mgmcc 09:02 03 Oct 2008

This seems to be a fairly common problem with Vista. It might help to give your Laptop a fixed IP address, because the most likely reason is that it has lost its IP address, the router is not aware of this and it isn't automatically renewed. Replugging the cable will prompt the router's DHCP server to renew the IP address.

To allocate a fixed IP address, open the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK), highlight the Local Area Connection, right click it and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol Version 4 ((TCP/IPv4)" and click the Properties button. Click the option "Use the following IP address" and type in:

IP address - 192.168.x.7 (where "x" matches the third octet [number] of your *ROUTER'S* IP address)

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.x.1 (your *ROUTER'S* IP address)

DNS Server - 192.168.x.1 (your *ROUTER'S* IP address)

NOTE: To revert to automatic IP addressing, set *BOTH* IP and DNS sections back to getting their addresses automatically.

zzzxxx 22:32 03 Oct 2008

thanks for your help...you prompted me to look around some more and when i went to network and sharing centre i found i had turned off network discovery...i remember i had turnded this off in at attempt to quiet comodo firewall...a great firewall but sometimes far to verbose...looking at the subject matter i think i better start using a spell checker when i post something on the web...thanks again...zzzxxx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?