Clean Install of W10 on new SSD drive

Eargasm 09:50 22 Apr 2017
Answered

I’m thinking of installing a new SSD drive in my desktop computer, back in September 2015, I downloaded the free Windows 10 upgrade and copied it to DVD, I did a fresh install of W7, fully updated the computer and then installed the W10 upgrade, the computer has been running great ever since and still is today. I’m fully aware I can save all my documents, photo’s , etc and then clone my hard drive to the new SSD drive, however I was wondering is it now still possible to do a fresh install of W10, now the free period of W10 has finished ? Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:24 22 Apr 2017

Yes just download the latest win 10 version (creator's update) and Clean install to your SSD however you will have to reinstall all your programs.

Back up all your data first from your user folders f not already on a seperate drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:25 22 Apr 2017

PS don't worry about serial key as it is now stored on windows servers and windows will activate first time you connect to the web.

Eargasm 10:27 22 Apr 2017
Answer

Just to clarify, what I'm thinking of doing is install Windows 7 on the new SSD drive, fully update the operating system then upgrade to W10 from the DVD I created back in 2015, would it work, or would now need to pay for the W10 installation ?.... if so, I will go down the cloning route instead.

Eargasm 10:30 22 Apr 2017

OK, many thanks for your reply, so I don't need to bother installing W7 then, I can just do it from the W10 download ?

alanrwood 10:35 22 Apr 2017

That's correct, you do not need to install Win 7.

Eargasm 10:38 22 Apr 2017

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go later today. Many Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)