Chkdsk C F Prefetch superfetch

Braniff 14:21 04 Jun 2010

My laptop, Windows 7 has been playing up a bit lately. First problem is very often when I switch on this comes up,
"Checking file system on C. The type of the filr is NTFS, volume lable is Windows. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency". it then does the check and it comes on normally.
Next problem CHKDSK f, don't know how to do that! I did a scan and it said something about a dirty cluster but not how to fix it?
Also something about Prefetch and Superfetch not working properly?
I am not very literate when it comes to computers and would be grateful for easy step by step advice please. I have Nortons installed and that is all running fine.

BurrWalnut 09:05 05 Jun 2010

1. To run chkdsk, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type chkdsk /r (note the space) and press Enter. It will probably run next time you restart the system, which you should do now.

2. You haven’t actually said what the prefetch error message was, but this will solve a ‘Not working’ message. Click the Windows Orb (Start), type %SystemRoot%\Prefetch and press Enter. Now delete everything that appears.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone