Changed hard drive on laptop problem with windows now not registered

Aristocatman 19:13 10 Aug 2013

Tried to re register but hit a problem with the 'update' installation to re register get a dialogue box with 'update installation failed, error information 0xC8000247' I've gone through the troubleshooting & set Firefox to the settings indicated but to no avail. I also tried through internet explorer with the same result. It use to be easy to reregister Windows! Anybody got round this annoying problem?

Aristocatman 19:40 11 Aug 2013

Thanks I'll maybe give that a go. I phoned Microsoft customer service & a helpful lady told me to type SLUI 3 in the start box I did & got a large dialogue box with an instruction to type in my product key. This I did it ran a check & said my product was validated. Great - I thought & thanked her Today when I booted it up after a few minutes I got the not a genuine windows 7 box again.Great!! I ran the validation again & once again it said validated. Obviously it won't last so I'll try the procedure you indicated.

Aristocatman 11:24 12 Aug 2013

I downloaded & installed the Intel upgrade & immediately windows downloaded a mountain of updates which I installed no problem. I checked The installed Samsung system info it confirmed that Windows 7 was activated. great! within 10 minutes the Your windows is not legal etc. etc. dialogue box reappeared! Do you ever begin to lose the will to live! I also downloaded the windows activation update which installed OK but the instructions tell you to run the file but when you download it saves & installs & disappears not telling where it can be found! It say once installed it will basically sort thing out - maybe but it isn't doing very well so far! So do you have to start the installed application or not if so where do you find it?

Aristocatman 19:46 06 Oct 2013

Not quite sure why but windows finally gave up telling me my windows 7 was not genuine I assume the downloaded software worked it just took a bit of time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?