Changed hard drive on laptop problem with windows now not registered

Aristocatman 19:13 10 Aug 2013

Tried to re register but hit a problem with the 'update' installation to re register get a dialogue box with 'update installation failed, error information 0xC8000247' I've gone through the troubleshooting & set Firefox to the settings indicated but to no avail. I also tried through internet explorer with the same result. It use to be easy to reregister Windows! Anybody got round this annoying problem?

Aristocatman 19:40 11 Aug 2013

Thanks I'll maybe give that a go. I phoned Microsoft customer service & a helpful lady told me to type SLUI 3 in the start box I did & got a large dialogue box with an instruction to type in my product key. This I did it ran a check & said my product was validated. Great - I thought & thanked her Today when I booted it up after a few minutes I got the not a genuine windows 7 box again.Great!! I ran the validation again & once again it said validated. Obviously it won't last so I'll try the procedure you indicated.

Aristocatman 11:24 12 Aug 2013

I downloaded & installed the Intel upgrade & immediately windows downloaded a mountain of updates which I installed no problem. I checked The installed Samsung system info it confirmed that Windows 7 was activated. great! within 10 minutes the Your windows is not legal etc. etc. dialogue box reappeared! Do you ever begin to lose the will to live! I also downloaded the windows activation update which installed OK but the instructions tell you to run the file but when you download it saves & installs & disappears not telling where it can be found! It say once installed it will basically sort thing out - maybe but it isn't doing very well so far! So do you have to start the installed application or not if so where do you find it?

Aristocatman 19:46 06 Oct 2013

Not quite sure why but windows finally gave up telling me my windows 7 was not genuine I assume the downloaded software worked it just took a bit of time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?