Change from 32bit to 64bit

olyman 11:27 14 Dec 2013

I bought Windows 7 Home Premium when it first came out and received discs for both 32bit and 64bit ( not upgrades but the full versions ). I installed the 32bit version as I wasn't sure of 32 bit driver availability at that time. If I install the 64bit version on the original PC will Microsoft still accept the same Product Key? The PC has had replacement hard drives and extra memory installed. Also is it possible to run both versions with one on a Virtual Machine if there are external hardware or program compatibility problems? I assume that backed up data on external drives will run on either version.

rdave13 16:19 14 Dec 2013

Yes you can install the 64-bit version with the same key. You might have to activate it over the phone (free). I'm not sure but you might even be allowed to dual boot with the 32-bit on the same machine. Have not tried it with a V.M.

Forum Editor 19:06 14 Dec 2013

You can't run both versions on the same machine, that's the first answer. If you want to use the product key to install a different version on the same computer you must uninstall the first version.

The answer to your question about data backups is yes, the files will open in either version of Windows.

olyman 11:12 17 Dec 2013

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay - I forgot to tick the subscription box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017