CDs not playing after windows 10

grace.wilson 20:01 10 Aug 2015

Before I installed Windows 10, CDs played perfectly fine on my PC. When I put a disk into the disk drive, it spins but does not show up at all in 'my PC'.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:31 10 Aug 2015

Data or audio CD?

grace.wilson 20:42 10 Aug 2015

Audio CD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:54 10 Aug 2015

Media player not installed in windows 10 you will need third party software to play CDs DVDs

such as VLC player or the dreaded itunes

wee eddie 21:42 10 Aug 2015

I hate VLC and use K-Light Codec Pack but have no idea if it's compatible with W10

daxian 11:15 11 Aug 2015

check and see if cd/dvd drives are installed (look in "this pc" from file explorer,you should see C drive then any cd drives ). i have to cd/dvd drives and "win 10" does not see them....looking for a solution for this myself.

daxian 12:29 11 Aug 2015

fixed the problem of cd/dvd not seen by win 10.... in device manager uninstall atapi controllers, reboot ,win 10 installs them again and they work !!! audio cd's play fine !!!!

JimCurrie 16:19 15 Aug 2015

I downloaded VCL. But when I insert a dvd nothing happens. What do I have to do to get Windows 10 to recognise that a dvd has been inserted and to play it? (Am I mistaken in having thought that Windows 10 was going to give me an enhanced experience?)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:56 15 Aug 2015

For some people windows 10 has given advanced frustration:0)

Open AutoPlay by clicking the Start button , click Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click AutoPlay.

Select the action that you want Windows to perform for each media type, and then click Save.

daxian 16:56 15 Aug 2015

are your drives seen by win 10 ???? if you open file explorer and click on "this pc " you should see all drives recognised...ie. c: drive d: drive for a dvd/cd drive.. if cd/dvd is not seen in this list follow instructions in my last post ! if it is seen, then open it to find files ... alternative is to right click on the drive and choose open with vlc player.

JimCurrie 17:44 15 Aug 2015

Many thanks for your help Fruit Bat and Daxian. Problem resolved. It's people like you who are a godsend to us needing help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?