Can't retrieve data from ext. hard drive

vinny186 02:09 14 Jan 2009

I'm in a real bind here. All the data from my business software is "trapped" on an external drive and I can't import that info into my updated business software.

I lost the power supply to my old computer so I had Best Buy download all the info from my old hard drive onto an ext. drive which I connected to my new computer. I've been able to retrieve old emails but I can't get all my business data - scheduling, billing imported into my new, updated business management software. The copmany that sells the software doesn't return calls or email.

When I try importing I get this message:
error importing data
the microsoft jet database engine cannot open the file 'j:\data backup\ptbm\PTBM30.mdb' it is already opened exclusively by another user,
or you need permission to view it's data.

I then copied the files onto my C drive and these are what the files look like:
A
C
Microsoft
PTBM.BCK
PTBM.EXE
PTBM.IIF
PTBM30.MDB
README.TXT

I tried importing the "PTBM.BCK" file but I'm told it's the wrong file name. I don't know what to do, please help.

BurrWalnut 09:04 16 Jan 2009

It might work if you take ownership of the external HDD folder, right-click the folder, select Properties > Security Tab > Advanced at the bottom > Owner Tab > Edit > Highlight your username and put a tick in ‘Replace owner on sub containers…’ and Apply > OK. Now go back to the Properties > Security Tab, highlight your name and give yourself full permission (tick Full Control), if necessary. Have a look here click here

In future it may help you to add ‘ownership’ to the right-click menu.
Two registry changes will add or remove ‘Take Ownership’ to the right-click menu on most folders/files. Download them both here click here
To use it, right-click a folder or file > Take Ownership > Click Continue for the UAC prompt. When it’s done, a command window will briefly pop-up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache