Can't record sound any more

Awestruck 17:27 19 Sep 2010

I have Windows 7 and have successfully recorded sound clips using the Accessories Sound Recorder. Next time I recorded a sound I carelessly plugged the mic into the earphone socket. Naturally I was unable to play back a previously recorded sound so I fiddled with the settings (I'm descended from a long line of idiots). Then the penny dropped and I plugged the mic into the correct socket, now because of my fiddling I can't record clips that will play back. I can play back my earlier clips. Please would you help me reset the sound recorder.

kristain 05:54 20 Sep 2010

restore the pc to previous setting.

click here to follow the steps.

click here to know possible causes of no sound on computer

Awestruck 10:55 20 Sep 2010

Thanks for your reply. I already tried a restore to no effect. On your second point, I stated in my posting that I can play back sounds I created earlier. The sound recorder is at fault. it creates a playable file intermittently, about once in five attempts. How can I get the recorder to work every time?

chub_tor 11:19 20 Sep 2010

Can you try a different microphone? Perhaps you damaged it when you plugged an input device into an output socket?

Awestruck 20:43 25 Sep 2010

Hello chub_tor
I have now tried two other microphones without success, clearly the Windows 7 sound recorder has been corrupted. It looks as though I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do a repair

karaokekid 00:27 28 Sep 2010

hi
Hope i have understood your problem correctly

i also put windows 7 on my acer laptop that had xp on it and my onboard mic would not not record and no doubt play back

so i downloaded a realtek high definition audio driver from the realtek web site and all is well

hope this helps

karaokekid

jmckeeco84 03:40 30 Sep 2010

I would suggest using a different driver for your sound card, you never know what the problem can be in some cases so it's best to try everything. I suggest using <a href="click here">realtek hd driver</a>, it's worked wonders for me!

jmckeeco84 03:42 30 Sep 2010

I would suggest using a different driver for your sound card, you never know what the problem can be in some cases so it's best to try everything. I suggest using this click here, it's worked wonders for me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017