can't play certain videos from local drives

Why wont it work 00:37 29 Apr 2007

I have just discovered that I am unable to play .mov vidoes correctly with quicktime or WMP. It does not happen with them all however- I have replaced the copies with back ups to no avail. Quicktime distorts the picture and after a few seconds tells me there has been a buffer overun... WMP however plays okay until half way through and then claims the sound device has stopped working and crashes (even though there is still sound...)

I have discovered that playing the files from an external drive or directly from my camera through quicktime works (but not through media player). I have tried updating the sound drivers- that didn't work and stopped the wireless from working. I also tried updating my graphics card drivers, but they cause random BSODs. Other than that everything is totally up to date.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, its not much fun having a 'media laptop' which doesnt play media!

skidzy 18:41 29 Apr 2007

Possibly missing or damaged codecs,though im unsure if this codec pack works with Vista click here

You could try VideoLan click here if the above fails you.

Stuartli 23:33 29 Apr 2007

A Vista compatible compilation of audio and video codecs can be found at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?