Cant locate my programs after upgrade

Daveymo 14:15 19 Oct 2013

My question is since I upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro preview to the new 8.1 Pro I cannot find any programmes. I knew the upgrade would delete my apps but not the programs. All my photos, music etc is there but no programs ie Office 2010, Adobe Photoshop, Quicken etc etc. Do I have to re install everything or has Windows moved/hidden them? Thanks in advance.

chub_tor 21:12 19 Oct 2013

Are you saying that the apps for these programs are missing from the metro screen and/or the shortcuts on the desktop or that there are no programs in c:\Progam Files?

rdave13 21:39 19 Oct 2013

Have a look at the Microsoft site about using the preview then loading the final update. link.

Daveymo 12:36 20 Oct 2013

When I go to local dick C: program files there are none of my old programs listed. It looks like they are gone for some reason. All my photos and music is there but I have noticed my documents folder is missing containing word and pdf's etc as well? Cheers.

chub_tor 12:45 20 Oct 2013

Has a Windows.old folder been created, you might find your documents in there.

Daveymo 13:27 20 Oct 2013

Good man!! (or woman?) All the program files are in Windows.old but how do I re instate all my programs? Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

chub_tor 14:41 20 Oct 2013

I Googled how to restore programs from windows.old and came up with this link however it was overlaid with a new notice from Microsoft saying roughly Windows 8.1 update has been removed from the Store because of a situation where a number of users have had problems and that they are actively working on a solution. Looks like you may be one of these.

However the outcome will still most likely be that you cannot restore your programs from windows.old, just the data.

chub_tor 15:01 20 Oct 2013

OK you might want to ignore that bit about withdrawing 8.1 as it seems as if it only applies to Windows RT 8.1. However the rest of the thread is pertinent to your problem and may help you find all of your data and at least give you an idea of what programmes you need to re-install.

You may also want to read this from Microsoft which discusses options when trying to roll back from 8.1 to 8

Daveymo 16:09 20 Oct 2013

Thank you very much for your help. It is much appreciated.

Daveymo 21:34 24 Oct 2013

Hi folks. I've been trying to find out more about this problem and I've found a couple of other forums with people who have had the same problem i.e. all their programs have gone after the upgrade. The data files are there in windows.old but nothing to open them. Has anyone here experienced this as I find it very annoying. Surely you shouldn't have to re install all your programs after up grading? It's ludicrous! Some of the programs were pre installed on my laptop and I cannot get access to them anymore. I cannot get them off the restore disc as they were on the Vista back up disc. If this is the case I am pretty miffed. Any ideas anyone? Thanks again.

Secret-Squirrel 09:25 25 Oct 2013

"...since I upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro preview to the new 8.1 Pro I cannot find any programmes."

Sorry to disappoint you Dave but that's normal behaviour for the Windows 8 preview. All previously installed programs and apps will be deleted and they'll all need to be reinstalled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?