Can't finish Windows 10 update

TN 12:48 18 May 2017

For the past three months or so, I have continually tried to run Windows 10 Update; every time it reaches 100% and immediately the message comes up - "Windows cannot finish the update - we will remove altered files" or a message like this. Is there any SIMPLE thing I can do to get all the updates installed? Many thanks for any help you can give me. I should say that I checked some items on Google but was completely confused by the very technical suggestions! This also happens every time I close my computer down the Update programme starts and finishes after about 15 - 20 minutes with same message

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 18 May 2017

Do you keep your apps and data on a different drive from windows?

Forum Editor 18:30 18 May 2017

Moved to the Windows Help forum from Tech Helproom.

Peter Ashley 19:27 18 May 2017

Hi there,

First I would try clearing the Windows cache: Open a command prompt as Administrator (click the Windows icon in the bottom left corner and type 'cmd' ignoring quotes. Right click the 'Command Prompt' and select Run as administrator). Within the command prompt type 'net stop wuauserv' then press enter. Open an explorer and explore to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all the content within Download folder. Then reboot the computer.

TN 20:14 18 May 2017

Sorry am not sure - I have copy of My Data Sources on Drive D - obviously Windows is on C: But the Data Sources has always had a copy on D anmd I never had any problem before.

TN 20:21 18 May 2017

I did as you suggested Peter, but after entering the net stop wuauserv I got message that the Windows update service isn't started! Does this help or hinder the solution? Sorry I am not being thick but I am 81 years old so you'll have to make allowances!

Peter Ashley 20:35 18 May 2017

Hi TN,

That's good, the message is what you should expect or similar(apologies, I should have mentioned this before). After you received the message to say that the Windows Update service has stopped, open explorer. Do this by going to the bottom and within the bar, there should be a yellow square. This should open Microsoft Explorer. At the top there should be a text area, type the following "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" leaving out the double quotes and then press Enter. Select everything within that folder and press delete.

Restart the computer/laptop and try the Windows Updates again.

TN 08:48 19 May 2017

Success Peter! Thanks for your assistance and also for being so patient with me! I have made a note of your answer in case it happens again. My thanks also to Fruit Bat not only for this problem but for many you have fixed in the past

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?