Can't add to Favorites

handful 08:39 19 May 2008

I am new to Vista and have a problem that I hope can be resolved easily! I copied and pasted my old Favorites folder from XP and these are now not recognised by IE7. Additionally, if I try to add a favorite nothing happens although I get no error messages. I have read through some of the other threads on this and nothing suggested has worked so far. If I were to uninstall/reinstall IE7, would this replace the favorites folder? Or is it a Vista fix required? Can you do sfc/ scannow on Vista without having a Vista dvd? I believe it is something to do with permissions with Vista but don't know if this can be put right. Finally, If I was to create a new user (administrator) account and redo all my settings correctly this time, would I then be able to delete the original main user account? This would presumably recreate a new system Favorites folder? Any suggestions or information would be much appreciated. (Acer 5920G with Vista Home)

rawprawn 09:00 19 May 2008

First Right click on your Favourites Folder> Properties> Security and make sure you have "Full control"
sfc /scannow in Vista. Right click on the Coomand Prompt icon and choose "Run as administrator" then type sfc /scannow at the C:prompt. you do not need a disc
You could also try turning UAC Off, this seems to be a common problem.

rawprawn 09:04 19 May 2008

Also look here click here

handful 09:06 19 May 2008

Thanks rawprawn, I will try some of this when I get home tonight, much appreciated.

Covergirl 12:34 19 May 2008

I was stumped by the new way Favourites works in IE7. Eventually found that I had to click the "two plus signs" icon and everything has been OK since.

I don't think you can right click and "add to favourites" or drag onto the favourites bar anymore.

handful 20:06 19 May 2008

Thanks rawprawn, I've managed to sort it although not totally sure how! I have to say, my first impressions of Vista are not great, from what I can see there are lots of subtle changes that mean I can't do what I used to be able to do in XP and can see myself getting in all kinds of mess finding out what. Cheers again :0))

handful 20:17 19 May 2008

Oh, by the way Covergirl, you can right click and add to favorites in Vista, or I can now anyway!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017