Canon MP170 problem

tonyt1151 16:58 23 Dec 2007

Can anyone assist. My Father has laptop running Vista and has a problem using a Canon MP170 all-in-one. All was ok but then it stopped. He had downloaded updated drivers from Canon website with no problem and used printer ok for 6 months before problem . Since problem (HP navigator dissappeared) he has uninstalled all Canon software and reinstalled it together with updated Vista drivers and now all works apart from the SCAN function. When trying to scan the Navigator window appears and he clicks on SCAN but then his PC freezes. The only way to get back is to either shut down or use task manager to stop Navigator. As he is getting on in years (he won't mind me sayig that) and lives a couple hundred miles from me a simple to pass-on sollution if available would be helpful

skidzy 17:20 23 Dec 2007

Tony i think its an uninstall again and run ccleaner click here and then use Vista's search (its very good) by typing Canon and removing anything it finds.Though do be careful if anymore Canon devices are being used.

Reboot and reload the software and update the drivers.click here

skidzy 17:21 23 Dec 2007

Also read the memo from the last link;

(Memo)

Since the printer driver and WIA driver for this machine are pre-installed in Windows Vista, you can use it as a printer or scanner just by connecting it to your Windows Vista computer.
However, printing and scanning may not be performed correctly under this condition.
In such a case, install MP Drivers for Windows Vista.

Download the MP Drivers for Windows Vista 32 bit / 64 bit from the Canon WEB page, and install it.

tonyt1151 20:30 23 Dec 2007

Hi skidzy. Thanks for that info. I will pass it on to my Dad.He has no other Canon product so I assume he can remove anything relating to Canon. There are 2 questions that I need to ask though. Firstly do you advise reloading software from the disc supplied with the printer first followed by the Vista drivers and secondly when he downloades the drivers they come as zipped files, one of around 40 and the other of around 200. As he will be at the other end of the phone when we do this and I cannot see what's there do you know which particular files he needs from each download. I apologise if these are simple questions to which I should have the answers but I am not running Vista so I can't do a "dummy" run on my PC

skidzy 20:40 23 Dec 2007

I maybe corrected on this Tony;

In the past what ive with some devices ive download the drivers to the desktop then plugged the device in and when asked for the drivers....point the request to the desktop saved drivers and let the install wizard do its stuff.

Or;

Download the drivers to the desktop,load the software (if it will load) then remove the current xp drivers from device manager and reboot.
You should be asked to reinstall the drivers...again point the request to the saved drivers on the desktop.

Totally-braindead 21:26 23 Dec 2007

I don't know if Canon are the same as Epson but if it is then the scanning software is seperate download from the printer driver and both need to be installed for it all to work.
I might be wrong maybe the Canon driver is an all in one driver for everything but my Epson has 2 drivers.

skidzy 11:47 24 Dec 2007

Bit more info click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?