cannot open .txt email attachment

fitzgeraldfong 01:12 11 Dec 2014

I have Win 8.1, 64 bit. I received an email with a .txt extension, and when I open it I get a page of scrambled hieroglyphics . The sender couldn't help. (??)

Can anyone advise me how I can get this document converted to something readable?

Thank you for your attention.

Roger (real name)

StephenCrossland 01:27 11 Dec 2014

Couldn't tell you what's happening with your .txt file. Would suggest a pdf file. Can be created in openoffice: click here

Good luck. s.

alanrwood 10:07 11 Dec 2014

Do you mean you received an email with a ".txt" attachment,

You don't say what your email client is. It sounds as though the attachment is not being decoded and converted back from its "mime" 7-bit format to a normal 8-bit txt file. If so the above suggestion will also not work.

fitzgeraldfong 08:14 12 Dec 2014

SOLVED, and thanks for the responses.

At the bottom of the email, where the attachment fixhp.txt is listed (Thunderbird). I R-clicked and found a . So I saved it to desktop and changed the name there to fixhp.zip, and it opened.

As it turns out, the info on the attachment was outdated.

fitzgeraldfong 08:16 12 Dec 2014

edit: R-clicked and found a save as clicksy....

alanrwood 10:50 12 Dec 2014

You could have r.clicked and selected open. Can't see how changing the file extension to xip would help as zip files are compressed and not readable until unzipped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?