Cannot activate Windows Vista

covkitty 13:46 17 Apr 2007

I bought a Medion notebook MD98200 here in Spain. The product ID for Vista on the casing was not accepted for activation; I have tried the automated teleohone line but it refers only to XP. I await a reply from Medion, but wondered if anyone else has had this problem? I'd love to test out Vista if only I can access it!

Pine Man 15:55 17 Apr 2007

You don't need to activate Vista to use it.

Vista advise you to activate within 30 days of first use but this can be extended.

Jimmy14 17:04 17 Apr 2007

The activation line does say XP when you phone it but it is actually for Vista as well. I have used it on numerous occasions with different peoples copy of Vista.

Kate B 17:16 17 Apr 2007

Pine Man isn't quite right - you do have to activate Vista, though the period of grace can be extended for I think up to 90 days. But eventually it has to be activated.

rodriguez 17:27 17 Apr 2007

Are you living in Spain or just on holiday? If you're on holiday you could wait until you get back to the UK and use the 0800 number that I used to activate someone's who didn't have an Internet connection. If you go to the activation screen, there should be an option that says "other ways to activate". From there you can choose to activate by phone and when you tell it your location it will give a list of numbers to use. The one I used didn't say XP or Vista it just refered to it as "Microsoft product". You then had to enter a set of 5 or 6 digit numbers into the phone then the woman reads back another set of 5 or 6 digit numbers that you type in the boxes underneath. If you're living in Spain, the local Spanish number that you use should still use the same process. It just might be best to use a number that comes up on Vista's phone activation screen because these should work for Vista.

Pine Man 18:27 17 Apr 2007

What I said was that you don't need to activate Vista to use it. By the tone of covkitty's thread he/she (you can't always tell!) hasn't even used it yet because it can't be accessed.

I don't actually think that the problem is related to activation. Hopefully covkitty will get back with some symptons to enable us to offer further advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?