Can you tell me what this virus is?

GertrudeLouise 14:54 31 Mar 2017

I went to shut down my laptop (Toshiba satellite L650) and instead of the usual routine the screen went black and displayed the following messages in succession, repeating them.
Hi
Updating your files (I'm not sure I've remembered this correctly)
This won't take long

It took me time to cut off power, eventually removing the battery. When I next tried to switch on, the computer booted correctly as far as accepting my password, after that the screen went black.

The computer runs Win10 and is supposedly protected by AVG Internet Security, both automatically kept up to date.

A local guru removed a virus using Hitman Pro, but there were still problems with a black screen and failure to download from the internet.

The end result was re-installing Windows10 and altho' all my personal docs. and photos were all ok, I have to re-install all apps. and devices. Another loss is my email address book and emails older than those on the server.

Can anyone tell me what did this and why my anti-virus failed? I do not open dodgy emails or surf odd web sites.

Gertrude Louise

mole44 15:08 31 Mar 2017
  Ammad Yousaf 15:25 31 Mar 2017

can you provide me a screen shot of your taskmgr so that i can identify your running tasks taskmgr can be open by pressing the command ctrl+shift+esc

Ammad Yousaf 15:26 31 Mar 2017

in the taskmgr goto the tab details and give me the snap shot of the detail tab in taskmgr

Secret-Squirrel 15:36 31 Mar 2017

Hi.....Updating your files.......This won't take long.............Can you tell me what this virus is?

Malware doesn't announce that it's carrying out malicious tasks. The message you saw sounds like a genuine update was taking place, you turned off the power abruptly and wrecked your own computer.

BTW, Ammad, Windows has been reinstalled so Task Manager won't show anything helpful now.

Ammad Yousaf 16:00 31 Mar 2017

can you trust on me i have a software name anydesk it is same as teamviewer so if you allow me i will check your pc in front of you i will identify some of the file that they may be malicious or not

ever thing i do you can easily view it on your screen

but i will do it for you if you trust on me

Ammad Yousaf 16:01 31 Mar 2017

if i remember if is a spyware

Ammad Yousaf 16:06 31 Mar 2017

for windows 10 repairing

try these steps You may also try to boot from the Windows 10 media and try performing a Startup repair from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and check if that helps:

To perform Startup repair on Windows 10 computer follow these steps:

a) Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer

b) Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

c) Click Next and select Repair your computer.

d) You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.

e) You may choose Startup Repair from Advanced boot option.

You may refer to the below link to download the ISO and create the installation media:

click here

GertrudeLouise 16:42 31 Mar 2017

I do not find any of this very helpful. Windows10 updates do not announce themselves with a black screen and chatty remarks. It remains blue and says "Installing updates. do not turn off your computer. As I said, my computer has been fixed locally, I would just like to know what attacked it.

Gertrude Louise

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:05 31 Mar 2017

Hi We have updated your PC All your files are exactly where you left them We've got some new features to get excited about. (do not turn off your PC)

Is a genuine message from MS after a large update!

wee eddie 21:42 31 Mar 2017

I just got home after the Curling ~ Fruit Bat is correct.

Every time you get a download of Windows Updates, it asks you not to turn itself off, while it is Updating. When you turn it back on, it will ask you to wait while it is Installing.

Sometimes this can take 10 minutes or more. other times, just 2 -5 minutes.

It you turn off during this process, you risk corrupting Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)