Can you Reinstall Later from W7 Upgrade Version?

ame 15:18 07 Mar 2010

My son has a laptop with Vista Home Premium on drive C, and a D partition for the O.S.recovery to factory settings - i.e. no Vista disk. If I install Windows 7 Professional for him using the upgrade version (from Software4students), does that mean I cannot reinstall W7 from the upgrade disk in future if things go belly up? I have read that I would need to reinstall Vista then upgrade again. That means leaving Vista on the D partition, I presume, which is naff.

sinbads 19:11 07 Mar 2010

Hi ame

yes you can no worries click here

regards

ame 20:52 07 Mar 2010

Thanks, sinbads.
What I don't understand then is why I need to have a full legal version of Vista (or XP) on my laptop for W7 in order to install from the upgrade disk in the first place - or so I have read. I understand the licencing situation, of course...

T0SH 17:11 18 Mar 2010

There is no need to install Vista to use the Win7 upgrade version you can work around it by using the upgrade DVD to install a thirty day trial version by not entering any licence key

once it has fully installed

Just put the upgrade dvd in the drive and let it auto run then choose the upgrade option and when prompted for the licence key enter it this time and allow it activate once online

Cheers HC

ame 20:36 18 Mar 2010

Thanks, TOSH. Doesn't sound as though MS has really got its act together yet as far as the practicalities of upgrade licence restrictions are concerned!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017